Existential Crisis

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

OF LEAKY BREASTS... AND BLEEDING HEARTS....

A friend of mine delivered her second baby a few days ago. A bundle of joy. Well that's I thought. But her description of motherhood.. both moved me ... and made me wonder... Her description of leaky breasts.. bleeding leaky breasts... the suckling of a child... as comforting as sandpaper on a nipple... gave me like this new as yet unknown peep hole in what it takes to be a mother.. I mean we all know of the hours and hours of labour... issues with C-section and all that.. but somehow post that trouble... i guess one's always been told its smooth sailing... well sort of .. .kids can fall ill.. be nursed to health... and all that.. But the act of a mother feeding her child has somehow always been glamourised.. so presented as a pleasurable experience... and reading MMs writings I began to wonder... is it all a myth.. or a Bollywood created ... idea of motherhood that we've all bought into... Specially ppl like me who have little no idea of what it all really means... Maybe this kinda info is all out there... maybe other ppl know about it... maybe its just me who doesn't .... Who knows...

My sister's expecting twins... All I can say Best of Luck ! God Help You ! Atleast you won't have to do it twice.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

New born babies have very sharp little gums! The painful phase varies from a few days to about a month or so. Soreness is more common than bleeding. After the mom and baby are used to each other it ain't no big deal- its a wonderful bonding, also much more convenient than sterilising endless bottles

Sun May 06, 10:30:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Visualscribe said...

All the same.. sounds painful....

Mon May 07, 01:39:00 AM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home